LOST IN TRANSLATION
What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is said to have originated more than 4000 years ago and is believed to be the oldest health system known to man today. Rather than treating symptoms, it treats the whole person, working holistically to identify and redress imbalances at an emotional, physiological and spiritual level.
Massage is an important part of ayurvedic therapy. Ayurvedic massage works on marma (vital) points around the body, to open up and realign energy channels.
This releases any blockages, putting body and mind back in synergy with each other. Ayurveda also uses herbal remedies to combat ailments which are traditionally treated in the West with prescription medicine.
What happens during a session?
A Reiki treatment is non diagnostic, non interventionist, non manipulative and no pressure is applied.
A session would involve you laying fully clothed whilst your therapist places their hands gently on or over your body allowing Reiki energy to flow.
What exactly is the difference between a Hollywood Wax and a Brazilian Wax?
The terms have been used interchangeably, but there are differences. Brazilian waxes often leave a small strip, triangle or oval shape piece of hair in the front, while taking all the hair in between all the way to your posterior. Waxing Hollywood style removes all of the hair, front all the way to the back.
Names are often created at salons and spas so that you know how much you’re paying, and they book the right amount of time while having an idea of much hair you’re looking to remove. Just waxing the bikini line is much less work and doesn’t require as much time or product as waxing all of the hair. So the price points vary for these different styles.
How Can I straighten my hair?
The most recent development in straightening hair is ‘the permanent blow dry”
RJ Permanent Blow Dry – Formaldehyde Free
The Keratin Treatment is an innovative process that transforms the hair in its entirety. The treatment is keratin based; keratin is the primary protein of the skin, hair and nails. This natural substance gives hair the ability to return to its original healthy, shiny, smooth state.
Unlike other products available in the market, such as relaxers or the Japanese thermal conditioning, the Keratin Treatment straightens the hair without damaging or changing its texture. The treatment can be use in all hair types, including chemically treated hair (coloured, permed, relaxed, highlighted and bleached).
The Keratin Treatment is also known as Brazilian Keratin Treatment, Brazilian Straightening System, Progressive Straightening, Brazilian Blowout and Escova Progressiva among others.
The application process lasts anywhere from 1.5 to 4 hours depending on the length and thickness of the hair. After product is applied, it is sealed with a hot iron, which traps moisture, hydrates the hair and creates a glossy finish. Results are visible immediately after treatment is completed, clients are amazed to say the least. Hair looks healthy and youthful, it resembles children’s hair.
Taking care of the hair after the Keratin Treatment is applied is effortless. The amount of time required to style hair will decrease dramatically; in some cases is wash and go. Others require some blow-drying and minimum styling time. This treatment restores hair resiliency: humidity, rain or sweat will no longer affect the hairstyle. No more frizzy hair!
The results last two to five months; the treatment fades progressively as hair is washed. As clients repeat the treatment every few months or so, you will be able to observe the improved quality of hair grown after the Keratin Treatment was applied.
What is a facial and how ofter should I have a facial?
A facial cleans, exfoliates and nourishes the skin to promote clear, well-hydrated skin. A facial is the second most popular spa service after massage. It is sometimes called a “deep-cleansing facial” or “deep-pore cleansing” facial because of extractions.
The Basic Steps of a Facial
- A facial begins with a thorough cleansing with cotton pads or sponges and a product chosen for your skin type (normal, dry, oily, combination, sensitive, mature.)
- Skin Analysis. The esthetician covers your eyes and looks at your skin through a brightly lit magnifying lamp that reveal various skin conditions.
- Exfoliation usually happens while a steam vapor is directed at your face. Some facials may use steam towels instead.
- Extraction of blackheads or whiteheads if you want it and need it. (It can cause broken capillaries and discoloration if done on sensitive skin, or done improperly.) People have different pain tolerance for extractions. They can be uncomfortable, especially on thin or ruddy skin.
- Facial massage using classic strokes like effleurage to both relax you and stimulate your skin and facial muscles.
- A facial mask targeted to your skin type (dry, oily, combination, sensitive, mature.)
It varies from person to person. Ideally, get a facial every four to six weeks because that’s how long it takes the skin to regenerate. Try to have a facial at least four times a year, as the season changes. You may need it more frequently if you are trying to clear up a case of acne, especially at the beginning. Otherwise, once a month is plenty.
What is a ‘Hot Stone’ Massage?
Hot stone massage is a specialty massage that uses smooth, heated stones. They are often basalt, a black volcanic rock that absorbs and retains heat well, but they can be other types. The heat is both deeply relaxing and helps tight muscles release. Watch a video of a hot stone massage.
What Happens During a Hot Stone Massage?
- Before you arrive, the massage therapist sanitizes the stones (very important!) and heats them in 120 to 150 degree water.
- During the massage, the therapist warms up the body with traditionalSwedish massage, then massages you while holding a heated stone. As the stone cools, the therapist replaces it with another.
- The therapist might also leave heated stones in specific points along your spine, in the palms of your hand, on your belly, or even between your toes to improve the flow of energy in your body.
- If you have inflammation or muscle injury, cold stones are sometimes used.
What are ‘Maintenance’ treatments?
Treatments that should be performed on a regular basis as part of your essential grooming routine include: manicures, Pedicures, Waxing and facials
How long in advance should I have a spray tan for a special occasion?
In theory 2-3 days in advance. However Organics have just launched an Express treatment that would be suitable to have 1-2 days in advance.
What treatments would you recommend if I was suffering from stress?
The Chakra balancing treatment, Hot Stone Fusion massage and reflexology
What are the most popular treatments for presents?
A luxury Pedicure in our Pedi Spa complimented by a session of reflexology.
What is an ‘In Salon’ Express Manicure?
A complete manicure that takes place whilst you are having your hair done.